Music programs are still the first to get cut.
As government funding for arts and music education programs through public schools in the country continues to dwindle, there is a greater need for creative fundraising to keep these programs alive.
Voices of Variety believes it has implemented a comprehensive solution by using charity concerts with renowned musicians to serve as a fundraising mechanism for music education programs across the country.
We believe music has the power to transform lives. The Voices of Variety empowers youth through music education, academic support, and mentorship while preserving and promoting the unique musical and cultural heritage of our city. Our goal is to provide our kids with the resources they need to lead positive, productive, self-reliant lives.
While we are serious about helping to prepare one for college and career success, we also believe that classes should be fun! The athletics and activities that we offer help develop one’s physically, emotionally, spiritually, and academically. Caring for the whole person, we believe that involvement in extracurriculars is essential to continuing to form talented, well-rounded, and interesting individuals. Creating change in the world J
Our curriculum begins with learning about, understanding and valuing the life experiences of our participants. We also believe that a college preparatory education must be challenging and requires attention to the development of the whole person – his or her mental, emotional, physical and spiritual development. Finally, we know that our curriculum must be engaging and relevant and so we take an experiential and thematic approach.
Our teachers work together across traditional academic disciplines in our thematic curriculum:
- Care for the Community
- Care for Self
- Care for the World
- Care for Earth
the curriculum is based on the Academic Content Standards for our Guidelines to help one outcome and Understand University Success. We aim to develop content knowledge and habits of mind and spirit.
The habits of mind include:
- critical, analytic, and independent thinking
- creativity and problem solving
- intellectual curiosity
- willingness to accept and act on critical feedback
- openness to growth
- the ability to cope with challenging learning tasks and possible frustration
- the ability to work collaboratively to create an effective community
The habits of spirit include:
- respect for self and others
- personal integrity
- commitment to community
- dedication to nonviolence
- care for the earth
- social justice
Philosophy & Criteria
vov invites participants into our community, who are committed to academic, spiritual, social, emotional, and physical growth. In order to make admissions decisions, vov reviews academic, disciplinary, and attendance records. In addition, each participant will also be interviewed by a faculty or staff member and must submit two recommendation letters.
We will accept particpants into the vov community who:
- Are motivated to succeed academically in preparation for college success and an adult life of engaged citizenship.
- Possess the motivation, maturity, and the intellectual and social skills to meet and exceed expectations in a professional job.
- Exhibit the highest level of respect for their teachers, classmates, and all others.
- Are open to growing in their relationship with God.
Qualify financially to attend Saint Martin based on the information provided to the Private School Aid Service (PSAS).
If those are not a referral to one of our other prep programs to help one get there we will help to transform urban life one participant at a time.
Inspired by the Gospel, our vision is to provide young women and men of modest economic means with an education uniquely complemented by work experience that will enable them to attend and graduate from college.
- An innovative college preparatory curriculum rooted in the development of habits of mind and spirit.
- A unique partnership with the business community reflected in our Corporate Work Study Program.
- A caring community.
In addition 700 million vov members, our community also includes:
- A talented, experienced, and mission-driven faculty, staff, and administration.
- Good corporate citizens at over 777 vov area offices globally.
Thousands of individual donors, foundations, and volunteers who recognize promise in the vov programs.